Flooding caused by the continued development and outdated infrastructure within the Black Creek watershed and increased extreme weather events due to climate change is an ever-present issue that impacts the safety, quality of life, and property of residents in York South-Weston. Consequently, we are demanding that all levels of government work together to mitigate flooding in our neighbourhood through the following actions:
- Immediately increase efforts to expand and improve stormwater infrastructure in York South-Weston.
- Expedite and fund all of the improvements suggested by the 2019 TRCA Flood Study.
- Improve Storm Sewer capacity in line with recommendations in the Basement flooding studies.
- Implement equitable wastewater and stormwater runoff levies to improve stormwater infrastructure in line with practices seen in other municipalities.
- Mandate responsible and sustainable development policies that mitigate stormwater runoff and protect wetlands.
- Protect Smythe park and other downstream infrastructure in our neighbourhood from flooding.